Monday, June 8, 2009

Job news!

I feel like I’ve been such a slacker since we got out here. With Alan gone at work so much I’ve mostly just been sitting at home catching up on tv shows and such. All of that is officially changing today, as I had my first day of my new job out here in Minnesota!

I will be working as a collections officer for the4 collections agency AllianceOne, and I am way excited. I’m sure that pretty much no one will want to talk with me, and work will be really hard at times, but I’m actually really excited for the job. It will go great with my communications background and they are really big about promoting from within, so once we go back to Utah I’ll be able to finish my BS in Communications and really shine as an executive prospect. Plus, they are partnered with the company Telecommunications, which is based out of salt lake, so transferring at the end of the summer should be no trouble at all. The base pay is $11 an hour plus commission, so I’m confident that I’ll be able to make enough so that we come home after this summer with no debt and considerable savings for a down payment on a house! *GLEE*

The hiring process almost seemed like a rush job. I posted my resume on monster.com un Tuesday, they called me Wednesday, I had a phone interview Thursday, we met for an in person interview on Friday, and today, Monday, I had my first day of work! Whew! I love the atmosphere of the call center already, and can’t wait to start getting in and making some real money in those commissions. There are people that have worked there for years and years making 6 figure incomes doing the same job I will, though I’m nowhere near that hopeful to start out. I do really love the fact that we get insurance after only 30 days, rather than the usual 90+ and that will really ease my mind knowing we have that security in case things go wrong.

I am really glad I decided to go with this first training, rather that one toward the end of the month, as I got a job prospect for Alan from the guy I sat next to in training. He apparently does railroad operations and management, and is only going through the training for three weeks until hours pick back up on the railroad, but he pulls down a whopping $80,000 a year plus some of the best benefits I’ve ever heard of. He was ecstatic when I mentioned Alan’s military training and certification with tank mechanics, which are apparently decently close to trains. From what he was saying they love people with military experience and snatch them right up. I’m crossing my fingers hoping that he can get an interview, and hopefully start after APX is through for the summer. They do have some stations in Utah, so we’ll have to see if it will work out for us. Cross your fingers for us! If you have any extra prayers, feel free to send some of those our way!

Also, Alan’s birthday is this Wednesday the 10th, so don’t forget to wish him love and happiness!

1 comments:

Kelsie Thueson said...

OOO how exciting!! These summer days out there are SSOOO long, you'll love having a job I'm sure! See you soon! (And pretend this is tomorrow...Happy Birthday Alan!! I hope it's a good one!!)

Post a Comment