Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Crafting complications

I have seen so many wonderful blogs as of late that illustrate these wonderfully beautiful designs for clothes, jewelry, knitting, crochet, etc. You name it, they craft it. And oh how I want to be one of those cool crafty people!

I am one of those people who starts projects, but never finishes them, or at least not in a timely manner. I used to do art a lot in highschool, but I think I've finished maybe 5 drawings in my whole life. My sketchbooks are full of disembodied heads and headless bodies, all of which I meant to finish but either forgot about them, or thought they were unworthy of finishing because the arm or leg or eye wasn't quite right. My mom will also tell you what a pain it was to get me to finish a sewing project, and half the reason why most of them got finished was because I had to wear them to a school dance or play that very night, and they were always finished one minute past the very last minute.

And yet, despite knowing all of this about myself and my procrastination, despite how untidy and unorganized I am, I am itching to make something. I want to sit down and spend some time doing something productive. Reading definitely keeps me occupied and it doesn't make a mess, but I want something to show for my free time.

So this is my resolve. I have a few steps that will make this possible.
1. Clean my apartment. Why? Because it is messy, and I need it done to feel comfortable starting any other projects.
2. Clean and reorganize my storage unit so that there is enough room for it to be my new craft room. It is about 25ft from my apartment, so I could go there whenever I wish, and it's far enough from my kitchen so I wouldn't snack while I craft. Additionally I've been meaning to clean and organize it anyways, and it would make it so that our apartment feels bigger with any extra stuff organized and usable. Moreover, if I follow through with my past pattern of not finishing what I started, then the mess will not be in our living space. Hurrah for multiple birds with one stone!
3. Set up my craft room. I have a dresser and a table in there that don't fit in our apartment that I can use. Must needs buy a fan for the summer if it's going to be bearable in there. Fortunately there is light and I think there is electricity...ok, that may be something I need to check on first...
4. Start crafting! There's enough space in there beyond what is needed for stuff that doesn't fit in our apartment that I would have all the room I need. I might even share it with Alan, but the jury is still out on that one.

So there's my plan! The electricity could be a problem, but I will find a way somehow! I'll update with the progress.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just reminded that I am not the first to consider the idea. "Yes Dear" - Season 3, Episode 13 "space jam"

Post a Comment