Thursday, March 17, 2011

If you're not scared, you're not paying attention.



I am a worrier.  I accept that, and I make the personal justification that "at least I'm prepared for anything". Well this year has really challenged that for me. I realized that while I am prepared in a lot of areas, I am not ready for the future.  And by the future I mean the future I am living in.



Have you seen the news about Japan?  Have you heard that the death toll from the Earthquake and the resulting Tsunami could reach 25,000?  That the nuclear reactors melting down could increase that even more?  That there are parts that will never recover from this disaster?

Call me Chicken little here, but the sky is falling and falling fast and I am freaking out.  I still go to work, still go to church, still blog, still become increasingly dependent on my phone and my electricity and my internet.  I can sew, cupboard cook like a fiend, knit, crochet, clean, peaceably negotiate, and , but I certainly don't have as many end-of-the-world marketable skills as I'd like, and I'm working on those.  I'm starting a garden, and I have a list of things that still need to be done.  Some are a little bit far in the future, but nevertheless here's my list:
1. Buy a HAM radio (Call sign KE7ELJ if anyone's interested.)
2. Increase my food supply, especially my water supply
3. buy a gas generator
4. Get an emergency supply of fuel.
5. Get hand powered tools (such as a wheat grinder)
6. Get some kind of power source, such as solar panels or a windmill
7. Never let my car get below half full of Gas (for quick emergency escapes)
8. Get a more advanced water filtration system (my Brita is not going to cut it if I have to filter lake water)
9. Get a 72 hour kit created
10. Get at least 3 months income in savings
11. Buy gold or silver coins with that savings
12. Get chickens and/or a goat
13. Stock up on toiletry items like soap and toilet paper
14. Start recycling
15. Start couponing
16. Learn to hunt.
17. Purchase a gun and ammunition.
18. Make a portable first aid kit

 And just for fun I may get myself one of these.


I will probably add more to the list as I go along, but I think that will make a good start.  What about you guys?  Am I the only one freaking out here?

0 comments:

Post a Comment