Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thank you hubby!

Yes, this is going to be a blog post about Alan.  I have good reasons for it.  Go with it.

I was reading over the blog http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/ and I am loving it!  I don't agree with all of it, but the vast majority speaks to an area of my thoughts that I don't really touch in my conversations with people.

A little background on me.  I am an independent woman.  Oldest of ten, and born in a family that didn't force me to hide myself.  I have parents that encouraged me to develop my talents, and one of mine happened to be public speaking.  I loved drama class, and I was a wiz kid in debate.  I went from not bringing home a single trophy my sophomore year, to competing at nationals my junior year, to taking first place in state my senior year.  I was already an outspoken kid, but I grew into my own with those experiences, and I loved the confidence it gave me.
Fast forward to college.  I moved away from home to a single's ward and an apartment with 5 roommates.  I'd had inklings before, but this was the first time I had really realized that I was not doing what I was "supposed" to do.  I was getting my education, I was outspoken, and I was not afraid to let people know what I thought.  This knowledge that I was doing something wrong did not come from my roommates, or from my church leaders, but rather from the guys around me who were not interested in a vocal girl.  After a horrible relationship where the guy attempted to train my confidence out of me, I became convinced that if I was to get a husband I would have to change myself.

I was shocked when I met Alan.  I was not looking for a relationship, and I tried to get rid of him by being confident and opinionated, which I had learned were the most men-deterring personality traits I possessed.  Instead of dismissing me as troublesome, he loved it!  He loved that I wasn't afraid to have a conversation with him, and I learned that it was possible for someone to romantically love me without sacrificing a huge part of my personal identity.

I am so grateful that I have a husband who isn't bound by expected gender norms.  Alan cooks the most amazing dinners, tears up when he thinks about starting a family, and who cleans even better than I do.  He gets excited about our garden, and encourages me to "talk it out" with him when I need to rant.  He keeps our cars in running order, and he knits to keep his fingers occupied when watching tv.  He is obsessed with sports, gives the best hugs, and constantly plays fetch with our dog Cleo.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment