Friday, June 10, 2005

Numb

I really don't know what to say or how to feel right now.
I don't know how many of you know the Banta family (Chantelle, Devon, and Zach were all at lone peak last year). Mrs. Banta was good friends with my mom in High school and they have remained friends to this day.
Earlier today my family got a call from a very frantic Mr. Banta, desperate to talk to my mom, who is an RN. My parent's weren't home so I asked for a message. I was told that Ammon, their 5 or 6 year old, had been in an accident and was really hurt. I called my parents, relayed the message, and thought pretty much nothing of it until my parents called back. my dad informed me that Ammon had been riding a go-cart down their very steep hill and had crashed. I was told that he was being flown to Primary Children's and that his was not breathing and did not have a pulse when he was picked up. My dad said that he and my mom were heading up to Primary and asked if we would go over to their house and make sure the kids were all ok and see if we could do anything to help. We walked into an empty house. Chantelle had apparently driven all the kids up to Primary (which, knowing Chantelle and how she reacts to traumatizing stuff, must have been a very rough ride)
I just barely received a call from my dad telling me that Ammon had died. Apparently he broke his neck when he hit and died almost instantly. And all I can think is that he's my little brother's age, who I can easily see in the exact same circumstances. I don't know how I would be able to handle it if it had been Samuel, or Miri, or Thomas, or Joseph in that situation. To top it all off my parents and I are supposed to be leaving for Philladelphia tomorrow for the National Debate Tournament, and I don't know if my mom will be coming with us. It's scary for me to think that instead of attending a graduation party tomorrow, I might be attending a funeral.

1 comments:

tentegang said...

Pockets: ...
Ani...
Oh, man. That's so strange to think about. Devon was in my Seminary class this year. Man. I've met Ammon.
Ani, if you need to talk you know my number.
Wow.

Post a Comment