Tuesday, August 15, 2006

cell phone help!

As a few of you know, I need to get a cell phone before I start school. Problem is, I have no idea which one to get or even which services are the best.  And that's where the help part comes in.


I'm looking for a phone that will
1)work for my commute to UVSC without going out of service range/into long distance or roaming
2)have good options for texting, as I will probably text a bunch more than I'll talk
3)I would prefer one with a good camera
4)have a fair amount of minutes
5)any other good options such as unlimited nights and weekends, free long distance and roaming, etc.


If anyone has any ideas please e-mail or message me!

2 comments:

tearsoftalus said...

Whoa. I think that I can speak with complete, unmitigated authority, here.
Most phones these days have 1.3 megapixel cameras. Why 1.3? I don't know. Nobody does. Not the carriers, not the customers and not the manufactures. It's my personal theory that there's some 43 year-old man in China, sitting in his grasshut, cranking out 1.3 megapixle cameras by the crateful and selling them like crack to American Cellphone manufacturers. Ergo, most phones have the 1.3 except for a few highend models, like a Samsung A990, which has 3.2 megapixels.
Other than that, the rest of your requirements will just depend on what plan you get. If you happen to choose Verizon (and you should for reasons I won't dwell on right now) then you'll want to go with America's Choice I or II. That way, you would get the nights/weekends bonuses and you wouldn't be charged for roaming, should you ever happen to go into it. After that, just choose a package with enough minutes per month.
As far as texting goes, you'll probably want a $10, $15 or $20 per month package that has unlimited verizon-to-verizon texting with 1000, 1500 and 2500 outlimits, respectively.
Hope that helps!

purpleoctopi said...

Addison knows a lot more about this than I do ;) But I do know that, to add another option, TMobile has really great coverage, and I'm pretty sure most/all of their services have the other options you were talking about. I've had it for months now and have yet to hit a dead spot that isn't in the basement of a concrete building or something.
I'd see what everyone else you know has first. Verison has a great feature where you can call any other Verison user free, but if no one has it, that doesn't help. I know TMobile only has free mobile to mobile if you have a family plan, but unlimited text messaging to anyone is only $15.00 a month, whereas Verison has what Addison mentioned.
Oh. And don't get Qwest. Ever. (In case that thought came into your mind. . . I dunno?)
Ani gets a cell! Yaaaay!

Post a Comment