Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Crafts, Houses, and Careers

Sadly, still no luck with the craft room. We have to get new lights for it at the very least, and every time I plan to go out there it always seems to be raining. I know I'm being a huge slacker with it, and I'm intentionally avoiding it, so I just need to get off my butt and do it!

I am so excited to buy a house! It won't be for several months yet, but it looks like it is going to work out. We just talked to our amazing mortgage guy, who really thinks we can manage it. We're looking for a house that has a finished upstairs but an unfinished basement, so that we have enough living area to live in while we work, and it would give us the freedom to do repairs when we can afford them.

I'm feeling kind of wishy-washy about work right now. I love the people I work with, I mean you cannot find a better group, and the benefits are wonderful, but I really don't want to do tech support for the rest of my life. I started down this career path due to a couple of things:
1. It pays pretty well, especially for someone without a degree
2. My dad has worked with computers for as long as I can remember, and I grew up learning from him, so I had an edge when it comes to understanding the programs
3. Tech support is generally way more lenient in things like dress code, desk decorations, and a relaxed attitude than a lot of other jobs.
4. I have great people and communication skills that I have been working on through speech and debate since I was in 8th grade, and it shows in my calls.

However, there are several reasons why I don't want to work in tech support
1. My degree in progress is in communications, not computers.
2. Being behind a desk all the time is doing my figure no favors.
3. I don't know if it's just ego or what, but I would like to be in a job where I make a difference, and can see the effects of my efforts
4. I want a career where I could fully support my family if needed.

I'm really really considering becoming a mediator. They are the people who try and negotiate court battles and arguments before they go to court - IE, they help prevent people from feeling that suing someone is their only option. My aunt and uncle have just started, and they love it! I've considered being a lawyer, teacher, counselor, and motivational speaker in the past, and this job would combine elements of all of them, while utilizing my talents, and fulfilling my career needs. Who knows, this may come to nothing, but I am really getting to the point where I feel it would be something I could really get into.

1 comments:

jkzank said...

I think you would be a great mediator! My rule of thumb has always been not to quit a job until I have another one in place. I don't know if you can do that in this case but that's what I would want to do!

Post a Comment